Let’s start by saying that my husband and I LOVE Chicken Tikka Masala. It’s so delicious.
We love it so much, that we need to eat Chicken Tikka Masala at least once a week. Of course, going to our local Indian restaurant every week can be a little expensive, so Mrs. frugality over here, has learned to make Chicken Tikka Masala at home.
There are loads of recipes for Chicken Tikka Masala out there, and each one calls for different ingredients. Many recipes require you to marinate the chicken in plain yogurt for at least an hour. Although this process makes the chicken very tender and juicy, my lactose-intolerant-tummy tends to disagree with the yogurt. So, I substitute milk with smooth, white coconut milk… my tummy is happy, and so am I.
Therefore, if you have a sensitive tummy like mine, you are going to love this easy peasy, dairy free Chicken Tikka Masala!
- 2 lb boneless chicken
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/2 tbs chilli powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 3 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 cans coconut milk (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato paste (12 oz)
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- Cut the chicken in cubes and place it in a large container. Add salt, cumin, 2 tbs of curry powder, chili powder, 3 tbs of coconut milk, and coconut oil. Seal the container with its lid and shake the container until all spices are evenly mixed. Place container in the fridge for an hour to marinate.
- Slice, and brown the onion in a medium pot. You can use vegetable oil, or coconut oil. Once the onions are tender and brown, add the chicken and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove seeds from bell peppers and chop them. Once the chicken is no longer pink, add the bell peppers and let cook for 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste and the remaining curry powder. Stir the content until all the ingredients are well mixed and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, if you have a rice cooker, steam 2 cups of jasmine rice, or boil and drain the rice.
- Once the 10 minutes have passed, your dairy-free Chicken Tikka Masala is ready to serve. Pair it with some jasmine rice, and maybe some Naan bread.
Tutti a tavola e buon appetito![/fusion_text]